Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why I Won't Be Posting the Equal Sign

On facebook over the last several days, I've seen several friends share a pink and red equals sign; some of my friends have even made it their profile picture.  This sign is in support of same-sex marriage.  I was surprised to see some of my LDS friends post it, especially in light of the press release the Church put out, entirety of which can be found here:

"While we disagree with the Human Rights Campaign on many fundamentals, we also share some common ground. This past week we have all witnessed tragic deaths across the country as a result of bullying or intimidation of gay young men.  We join our voice with others in unreserved condemnation of acts of cruelty or attempts to belittle or mock any group or individual that is different – whether those differences arise from race, religion, mental challenges, social status, sexual orientation or for any other reason.  Such actions simply have no place in our society.......
As a church, our doctrinal position is clear: any sexual activity outside of marriage is wrong, and we define marriage as between a man and a woman. However, that should never, ever be used as justification for unkindness. Jesus Christ, whom we follow, was clear in His condemnation of sexual immorality, but never cruel.  His interest was always to lift the individual, never to tear down.
Further, while the Church is strongly on the record as opposing same-sex marriage, it has openly supported other rights for gays and lesbians such as protections in housing or employment."


I am not judging any of those who choose to support same-sex marriage; everyone has their reasons, and it does not change how I feel about that person.  I will, however, strongly state that my beliefs coincide completely with the statement the Church released.  So instead of a pink equality sign on a red background, I choose to post this:



While in Puerto Rico in 2008 during the hype of Proposition 8 in California, we were visited by Elder David A. Bednar, one of the 12 Apostles of the Church.  We were invited to have an open question-and-answer session with him, and someone asked why the Church was getting so heavily involved in the debate when usually they choose to stay out of politics.  Elder Bednar said something that made a huge impact on me and I will never, ever forget it.  He said, "We [meaning the First Presidency and the Twelve] are prophets and apostles.  But we are not prophets and apostles for just the Mormon Church; rather, we are prophets and apostles for the entire world.  We are the only men on earth with the authority of God to speak in His name.  So if we will not stand up for righteousness and tell the world what God's laws are, who will?"

I believe that with all of my heart.  I went home and knelt down and prayed to God to know if Elder Bednar and the other brethren were truly His spokesmen.  He answered that prayer through the power of the Holy Ghost, and I know beyond any doubt that they are indeed speaking for God.

I saw an interesting quote on facebook that someone posted.  It said, "Our culture has accepted two huge lies.  The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them.  The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do.  Both are nonsense.  You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

My heart breaks for those who are in the middle of this struggle.  I know several people who have been very close friends who have same-sex attractions.  Every single one that I know that has chosen to embrace the lifestyle has at some point or another confided in me the emptiness and unhappiness in their life.  It can't be easy, and I sympathize with their pain.  I cannot, however, compromise my beliefs or values by letting people think that it's an "okay" lifestyle to live.  It's against God's commandments.

In the 1990s, the prophet and apostles released a statement called the The Family:  A Proclamation to the World (it can be read here in its entirety).  In this bold document, they state the different roles between men and women, and they share God's definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman.  Again, I believe without a doubt that these statements truly are the viewpoints of our Heavenly Father.  This does not mean that God "doesn't love gays" or anything at all like that.  Those are vile lies spread by Satan to try to undermine what God is really saying.  He loves all of His children, but He has certain commandments and laws that must be followed in order to enjoy the fullness of His blessings and His happiness and peace.

There are many arguments about whether or not gay marriage is good for society, etc.  I believe that the warnings of the Proclamation are true:  failure to follow God's principles will lead to one day being held accountable by Him and will bring about the calamities prophesied about in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and by modern-day prophets.

If this is something that upsets you, I invite you to earnestly search  within yourself and go to God with a sincerity of heart, asking Him what His opinions are.  I can promise you that if you do so, with a willingness to do whatever He commands, then you will receive the same answer that I have.  I know it.








Supplement Your Income
Here are websites that I have tested and work for supplementing your income at home.
Note:  if you do decide to sign up for any of these, please use the links I've provided below.  They are my referral links, and sometimes you get benefits for people who sign up under you.
Swagbucks
Earn gift cards by just searching the web, watching music videos, clipping coupons, shopping online, and many other ways!
Slice the Pie
Earn money reviewing music.
Jingit
Earn money watching commercials and scanning barcodes at the store.
Paid Viewpoint
Earn money taking quizzes.
Locket
App for your phone that gives you a penny when you unlock your phone.  Click on this link with your phone.
FreeMyApps
Earn gift cards by downloading free apps on your phone.  Click on this link with your phone.
Inbox Dollars
Earn cash by reading emails, taking surveys, watching ads, playing games, searching the web, and more.

4 comments:

  1. I love this. I feel the same way about some of my family and friends posting the equality sign. I don't want anyone to be discriminated against, but I believe that trying to legalize this is wrong. I haven't been brave enough to post anything on my facebook for fear of offending all of my family and friends. Some of whom are gay/lesbian. I am really torn with how to stand for what I believe in. Thank you for sharing it so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad that you like it. I understand the feeling of worrying what others will think or say. But I just couldn't keep seeing posts from everyone else without sharing what I thought. Please feel free to share this with others, if it helps.

      Delete
  2. Nica Conde NuttallMarch 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM

    Great post! I love the quote by Elder Bednar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auberi Hendrickson OgdenMarch 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM

    I cannot agree with you enough! You stole the words out of my mouth! Well done!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinions with me!